There are several ways in which you can provide your body with proper nutrition. Everything takes a little effort and time, but health goals can be achieved in baby steps. To begin, I want to introduce you to one of my favorite star of the kitchen, which many people are unaware of. Many of you might have heard of it but thought it’s complicated to use. It is not at all! It is the “slow cooker.”
A slow cooker is an electrical utensil used to prepare many healthy and delicious meals. It does exactly what the name suggests, “Slow cooking. You may be wondering ”How does it work? Well, it’s real simple and super easy to use. You basically place the ingredients based on a recipe and cooking time in the slow cooker, and let it cook for four, six or eight hours depending on the type of food item you are cooking.
It is VERY important to follow the time carefully when using a slow cooker. For example, beans and lentils take up to 6 hours to cook in a slow cooker, and something like a vegetable soup can be done in a couple hours. So you can basically prepare a meal for yourself without having to worry about following a step-by-step recipe and putting in a lot of effort. Slow cookers are great if you have a busy lifestyle or you are new to cooking. They also add a lot of flavor to the dish itself.
Here is a delicious and rich lentil soup recipe which I prepare in my slow cooker at least once a week. It is hearty, nutritious, protein-rich and an excellent source of fiber! The flavors of this recipe are amazing. It is sure to fill you up and so comforting especially when you had a long and tiring day. You can store this soup in your fridge for up to three days. Although, the lentils take some time to cook in the slow cooker, the tempering will only take about 15 minutes.
Electrical slow cooker
1 cup black lentils (as shown in picture above)
A handful of red dry kidney beans (as shown in picture above)
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp curry powder
1 small onion finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1 small green chili for a little heat (optional)
2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Wash the lentils and beans, then place them in the slow cooker with 3 cups of water
- Add salt and turmeric, cover the slow cooker and turn it on high heat and set aside
- The lentils and beans will take about seven hours to cook in the slow cooker
- Once the lentils and beans are cooked completely, turn the slow cooker to low heat setting
Tempering for lentil soup
- Heat a separate pan and add the olive oil
- Once the oil is heated, add cumin seeds, then onion and garlic. Sauté for five minutes or until golden brown
- Add tomatoes, green chili, & curry powder, then mix well stirring every 2-3 minutes. If it sticks to pan, add a little water then mix. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes, then add this tempering to the lentil soup and mix well.
- You can garnish this soup with chopped cilantro and add a drizzle of lemon juice before enjoying it.
- This soup can be enjoyed as a lentil curry with brown rice as well as bread.